7/19/08

Saturday's Warrior

Well, this week of running a mile is done. I went Monday & Wednesday skipped Friday and went today(Saturday). Though I was spitting less the runs didn't get any easier. I had to use every part of my will power to keep going at times. My body would say, "We're going to die!" and I'd have to keep saying, however feebly, "This will not kill us, it will only make us able to run up the stairs quickly, or jump up onto trampolines, or move with lightness."
I did notice my pacing got better. My run on Monday my pacing was all over the place. And I didn't feel I could control it - all I could do was put each foot in front of the other, over and over again. But today I felt better able to judge how my steps were settling into a pace. My average was 12:31 - though my time was two seconds faster. My garmon GPS said my fastest pace was 9:57 - that must have been for one split second somewhere along the way.

I think next week I will still run a mile. Just to get it under control a little better. So I don't feel on the verge of death so often too.

I am also looking into some 5k races that are in the fall. I'll decide on one soon and start looking ahead to that. Races always help in that way.

4 comments:

Katie said...

Do you have a link to the GPS you use? I need to get something with a timer function, even a simple watch would do, but the pacing function would be cool. I'm doing Couch to 5K and just completed the first week. It would be the 2nd week, but I only jogged 1 day the first week, oops. Hopefully I can get myself in gear and stop skipping. I was planning to do the September 6th 5K in Spanish Fork, but now that I'm a week behind I won't make that. Unless I reverse-cheat and race a week early, lol.

Chris and Jamie said...

Hey when your up to 2 miles my neighbor and I run every mon and thurs morning at 6:30am. We run slow and steady about 2- 2.5 miles.

megan said...

Katie - I got a garmin GPS on amazon. It was last years model so it was a lot cheaper(~$140). But if you are just in the market for a watch - you can get one for a lot less than that. I recommend the basic ironman watch. it's usually around $40 but the cheaper ones are so much less user friendly. It's just right for running.

Jamie - in a few weeks - I'm there!

m. said...

i still want to run the 5k with you. let me know!