10/15/08

mini-me and my vain blog

While browsing through some old photos I found this one of me from Thanksgiving 2 years ago. It's mini-me! It has gotten to the point lately where I can't remember what I used to look like and also can't believe I'll ever be my old self again. I need images like this to give me faith that I can do it!

So, I've been swimming still and I'm becoming a big fan. I like how I don't get hot and my joints don't hurt. I also like the sound of the water. After I'm not sick anymore we'll see if I'm up for some jogging as well.

And finally, lately I've been wondering how vain this blog is. I know that happiness is not based on weight or pants size and so I don't want this to seem an obsession with either. I was hoping this would detail my journey back to a healthier, fitter me. But sometimes it digresses and becomes about weight. This past weekend I was visiting my in-laws and in their church congregation is a young mother who just found out she only has a few months left of her life. I felt terrible realizing how petty I've become lately. Feeling like a true blessing is more a trial. These things I worry about aren't really important. I hope that after reading this blog you don't get off and feel worse about yourself. That you aren't overly concerned about your body. My original hope was just the opposite. That you'd see that if I could get healthy - anyone could. I still believe that being healthy is really important - that keeping my body in shape will make the rest of my life more full - and that of my family's as well. I need to remember that. Especially on days where I feel like it's me against the candy bar. Anyhow, just some thoughts...

9 comments:

Katie said...

I agree that it shouldn't be about weight, but you have definitely inspired me to jog. Please don't abandon the blog now! Pregnancy is part of the journey.

megan said...

Thanks Katie - I was actually thinking of wrapping the whole thing up. You don't think it gets boring or sad watching me struggle so much?

Katie said...

Fetch, no! But I might not be the best judge -- I like to read when people are struggling. Part of it is empathy, sympathy, wanting to be a good listener, hoping others will do the same. Part of it is liking the conflict/drama.

If you started a blog and immediately dropped 50 pounds and could run a 10K (*cough*AngelinaJolie*cough), no one would be inspired. In fact, they'd think you were faking it (*cough*tummytuckAngelina*cough). I was far more inspired by reading about how hard it was for Jennifer Lopez to stick to her triathlon training than to read how Angelina just had twins and is back to her svelte self.

Also, to add in a bit of spam to the equation -- go buy my almonds - http://katieswords.blogspot.com/2008/10/fresh-raw-almonds-great-for-food.html

Chris and Jamie said...

Megan you have to stay. I enjoy reading your blog so much. It gives me great inspiration and motivation. I not too long ago had 40lbs to lose. I just have 15 more and your blog gives me that extra push that I need. Love ya, your always entertaining. I love it.

Molly said...

I know you don't know me, but I do check here every once in a while because of your awesome perseverance. And I definitely think it's not vain. There's something to be said about taking care of our bodies so that we can run and play with our children, set good examples for them, and be healthy enough to live long lives. So I think there's nothing wrong with wanting to be the healthiest and happiest you can be, because that is reflected in your family life. Just my two cents. :)

PS--Congrats on the pregnancy

Stephanie said...

i say you have to stay too... just cause i gave up on mine doesn't mean you can.

Kathy said...

you have to stay. i love your blog.

Em said...

I think this is a wonderful blog and I think so many people can relate to you in different ways. Finally someone is telling the story we all don't talk about! You're inspiring and although pregnancy can seem like a "set-back" in terms of weight loss and health, just keep on being healthy like you are and when the baby comes...keep on chuggin'! If it were easy to be healthy and thin...EVERYONE would be! Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Hi Nice Blog .mini ipod battery share the characteristics common to Lithium-based technology found in other devices. Like other rechargeable batteries, these batteries may eventually require replacement.