5/30/08

The dive and glide

I grew up down the street from the neighborhood swimming pool and have many memories of swimming and diving and general playing in the pool. In particular we kids would always challenge others to swim the length of the pool without taking a breath. I always prided myself on the fact that I could do it but I had a secret strategy. It was all about the dive. If you could dive in and glide really far without using much energy the rest of the pool was a cinch. If you had to start right in the water without any momentum the job was a lot harder.

After pregnancy those first few weeks are kind of like that dive. I always lose a lot of weight in that time and it gets me going so I can lose the rest. I also never really know how much extra fat I have to lose and how much was just water weight until that time. I remember after having Elijah - where I gained like 60 pounds - I lost 33 pounds in that first three weeks. With Andrew it was less but only because I only gained 36 pounds total - which was great for me. So this time I was anxious to see how much I could lose with the dive and glide. I was hoping to get to 169. That was probably a VERY unrealistic goal since that would have been like 40 pounds. It started ok - as you can see on my chart. But it must have been a bad dive because at about 2 weeks postpartum I stopped gliding. In the past 2 weeks my weight hasn't gone anywhere which means it's time to accept that I weight in the 180's - my Dad's weight when he's feeling too heavy - and get working. It's hard to accept but hopefully I can get swimming well enough to get my momentum going again so I don't have to accept that weight for too long....50 pounds to go!

Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

OK, lets stop with the shenanagans, lets see a real picture, in your swim suit, no more 'virtual models'. Let's shake things up, make things interesting!

Stephanie said...

HAHA Marisa-- oh my gosh... you'd never catch me DEAD on a swimsuit on the internet.

anyway- i just wanted to let you know that if you happen to have Comcast Cable with On-Demand... they have an exercise section on there with a TON of free exercise videos. Like good ones-- pilates, yoga, Tae Bo, etc... so it's like getting a gym membership with your cable! minus the weights. Anyway- I did Tae Bo this morning and it kicked my trash.

megan said...

ooo - good idea steph.

and BAD idea marisa.

Unknown said...

It's not that bad of an idea, it is what made that other guys famous. I know you have always wanted to be famous.