8/26/08

Try-athlon

Inspired by the women's olympic triathlon, my best friend Marisa's first tri this past weekend, and lean swimmer bodies, I've decided that I'm going to set my sights on a higher goal. I love to run but honestly running a marathon has always sounded a bit boring. I know it's an amazing accomplishment but I find myself more drawn to adventure style races. And that's why triathlons have always seemed really fun. I always figured that races like that would have to wait until I was in my top form but Marisa told me that her friend went from barely running a mile to finishing a triathlon in under two hours in just two and a half months.

So...swim, fat mom, swim - and pedal too - I'm training for a triathlon! I figure I'll train over the winter months so that next spring I can kick trash in a race near here. Now, when I say triathlon - I'm talking about a triathlon sprint - which is a half mile swim, 12 mile bike, and a 6 or less mile run. The ironman will have to wait.

One thing that has always scared me away from triathlons is the swimming. I'm a terrible swimmer. But I decided it was time to grow up, don a swimsuit, and give it another go. So tonight I headed over to our pool to swim some laps. I asked Marisa the other night how much she swam when she first started training for the race. She told me 18 laps in an olympic length pool - which would be 36 in the pool in my community. Wowzer! When I went over tonight I had no idea if I could even swim more than 5 laps. The pool had not one but two young couples swimming and hugging and giggling(separately of course). The voices in my head imagined the young lovers looking at me and the girls thinking, "Gosh, I'm so glad I don't look like that." That's not helpful, I need to work on that. I really let my pessimistic voices run wild when I get in a swimsuit.

Anyhow, I put on my seven-year-old's goggles, and shoved off. Swimming freestyle, the first 3 laps were the hardest. I felt like I was near drowning as I gasped for air and splashed down the lane with hair constantly in my face(time to order a swimcap). I was a definite shark magnet too with all of my flailing and kicking. Though, after a little while I got into the rhythym of it and was able to breathe a little easier. And I kept going and was able to swim 36 laps! Now, that was really exciting for me. Though I have to admit that I can barely type because my right arm is constantly cramping. I'm sure tomorrow I'm gonna be in a world of pain but it's ok. I'm training for a triathlon!

1 comment:

b. said...

i think your crazy.

36 laps sounds more than impossible to me. that being said-i wanna go with you sometime!