8/23/08

We've got the beat...


Music can be really motivating when you are running but at the same time sometimes a song can really slow you down. For me it has to be a perfect combination of the beat, the lyrics, and the overall feeling. I can't pinpoint one perfect combination - sometimes it's a happy song, sometimes it's not. There are a few songs that work almost every time for me - at least lately. I really love running to Madonna's "Hung Up" and OkGo's "Here it Goes Again" - probably because of the amazing video(see below). But sometimes a song really revs me up and I want to start throwing my fists around and jumping on each and every step - Foreigner's songs always seem to do that for me. I am a complete fanatic for the song "Cold as Ice". You better believe I'm breaking out both the air guitar and the air piano on that one. Today I'm gonna try running to Destiny's Child, "Survivor" because it will make me feel like I'm really working towards something. We'll see how it works...

What about you - what songs really hit the spot for you during your runs?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Eye of the Tiger, it doesn't get much better than that.

RightHahn said...

OKGo is so funny! I kept You Tubing them for my family while we were in Texas - they had never seen them, which is just wrong!!

I like really random songs while I'm running - I mentioned one of them in your most recent post...sorry for being so scattered;) One of the other ones I like is Tristan Prettyman's "Love, Love, Love". It starts out really slow - but picks up and distracts me if I'm feeling bad about my run. I guess that's the key for me - distraction instead of motivation.

Kathy said...

i love foreigner too, and madonna. i also love most janet jackson songs - don't judge me. anything with an great beat and something to keep me distracted.

Anonymous said...

I hate Eminem, but that song "Lose Yourself" is so good to work out to, or listen to on the way to a big soccer game.

Kevin Pratt said...

Meg, I love listening to Natasha Beddingfield when I work out. She has lots of up tempo songs and she is amazingly talented. Her new album is awesome, too. Get it.

Chris and Jamie said...

My fav is tom petty's learning to fly, it keeps my tempo steady and I love anything by Bitter:Sweet. I really just like music that keeps me on tempo which tends to be a little more mellow. Love Ben Lee, Wilco, certain songs from pinback, ben kweller and death cab. to name a few. But when I need a pick me up I have to listen to your disease by Saliva or new noise by Refused. Rage is always a good one too.

I could go on forever.